Thursday, December 27, 2012

the family that reads together, stays together



today is my grandpa jimmy's birthday and while looking for photos of him to post on facebook came across this newspaper clipping in my grandma's binders. it's from the delano record and was printed on tuesday, august 13, 1968.

the description of the photo reads:

avid readers- these youngsters were among the top award winners in the summer reading club at delano branch library. shown are, from left, zack squires, who gave a talk on rock hunting at the awards programs; walter youngest "pirate" in the club; the salim youngsters, bobby, john, annette, and tracy, who represented the most members from one family; and librarian mrs. jane randolph. delano record photo.

the four kids on the right are my uncle bobby, uncle john, my mom, and auntie
tracey! plus the library they are pictured in is the very same library that i use today and used as a kid! this clipping reminded me how amazing grandma bea is, she took two generation of kids to participate in the library's summer reading programs. it's great to know that before my grandma bea took my sister and i to the library every summer, she took my uncles, aunts, and mom. i know these visits made me a lifelong reader and of the previous generation, my uncle john and auntie kathy are the most avid readers. i am trying to continue this tradition with my little brother, i signed him up this summer for the reading program. and hopefully one day i will have my future kids participate as well.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE this post Krisha!!! I will show it to Bria and say that you have "officially" challenged her during the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHOA! Check your Momma's haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  3. brandy- yes!!! tell bria to bring it this summer!!! i'm sure she can get a ton of reading done over the summer!!

    and yes very glad that haircut did not continue on to the next generation!

    ReplyDelete