Thursday, June 4, 2015

i was told there'd be cake. sloane crosley. (280)


i decided to reread i was told there'd be cake because sloane crosley was at bookcon.  unfortunately, i didn't see her. i also didn't finish the book before i left.  i had about a chapter left and thought i could download the ebook from the library, however, they didn't have the ebook so i didn't finish before bookcon.  i did when i came back.

to start, i have to say that on my first reading, i absolutely love love loved this collection of essays.  i felt like sloane was writing about my life, so many times, i was like OMG that is me, especially the you ponies! i also had/have a bunch of toy ponies because my best friend and i used to carry one around like the amelie gnome. so right of the back, i was like i love this book.

other than that, i didn't remember too much.

i have to say i enjoyed my rereading.  crosley is hilarious and this book had me laughing.

"the pony problem" was as enjoyable as my first read and i really think she messed up by getting rid of her ponies!

i enjoyed reading about crosley's experince as a jew at christian camp in "christmas in july". and loved that she played mary! i also would have loved to have told off darien.

"the ursula cookie" made cringe when she got caught in her lie by her boss.  it was also interesting to head her day after 9/11 story though then she didn't realized that it would be a day after 9/11 story.

any and every 90's kid has to love the oregon trail essay, "bring-your-machete-to-work day", i did!  i wish someone would make it an iphone app.  like the og version.

having a unique name myself, i didn't get why she was so bent out of shape with her own name in "bastard out of westchester".  however, i did get the how the story behind her name was not true.  the verdict on my name is still out, not sure if steve garvey (of dodgers game) has a daughter named krisha.  just googled and he did!

"the kindness of stranger", which crosley discussed her luck with always getting her wallet back when she lost it, reminded me of me and my phone.  i have lost my phone at least 3 times in my life and it had always been returned to me.  then, one day in nyc, i came across a phone and tried to return it, then bragged about my lost phone luck, only to lose my phone an hour later.  it was not returned to me.  eff my life.

"one-night bounce" proved that me and crosley would totally be friends.  her desire to have a one night stand would be something we would both obsess over.  and yes, i have had a one-night stands, fun from what i can remember.

"sign language for infidels" made me want to volunteer at a natural history museum.  i googled the atlas moth, and it does look like a snake!!

"you on a stick" makes me want to never be a bridesmaid and an amazing not demanding bride. 

"smell this" was gross.  who does that?!?!

"lay like broccoli" reminded me how mean i am to vegan and vegetarians, but obvi not as mean as they are to each other.

"fever faker" was whatever.

all in all, a delightful reread.  i regret not seeing her at bookcon and look forward go her new novel!  i also need to read her other book!





No comments:

Post a Comment