Tuesday, November 20, 2012

the casual vacancy. j.k. rowling. audiobook



before j.k. rowlings' "the casual vacancy" came out, i thought i would be super smart and put in an early request for it at the library. i was so excited because i was number 13. i was also excited when it came in. but talk about a letdown when it turns out i requested the audiobook version. (i really feel that this was the error of the library, i don't remember audiobook being on the page i requested. though i have to admit that i have done this before for books for grandma bea.)

i don't drive, so audiobooks have never appealed to me. i can't imagine sitting in a room just listening to words, my mind would wander too much. (how may you asked did i survive lectures in college? well i had to take notes so that stop my mind from wandering). the only way i would be able to listen to an audiobook would be if i had a physical book in front of me so i could follow along.

but since i accidentally checked this version out, i decided to give it a try. the book was narrated by tom hollander, and my what a dreamy voice he has. (i googled and turns out he played mr. collins in recent movie version of "pride and prejudice".) so listening aside it was quite enjoyable.

the story started off interesting. however, i couldn't focus, i kept on thinking about harry potter and even checked my phone a handful of times so i gave up. i really do need the visual word in front of me in order to process it. it's how my brain works. in college my studying consisted of me copying passages from textbooks to help me remember material (and often times could give direct quotes and figures in my essays thanks to it!)

i have not given up completely on audiobooks and will give them another go. my friend lawrence told me that tina fey's audiobook is hilarious. i also want to give mindy kaling's audiobook a try too. but i will check out the physical book along with the audio versions to help me pay attention.

1 comment:

  1. I really feel like it depends on the type of book you are reading. I listened to the audiobook version of The Last Lecture and feel that I got more out of it than if I had read it. Hearing the stories of this man's life was really powerful.

    Best,
    Juliana

    ReplyDelete